HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
1938
Dr. Roscoe D. Hughes forms the “Department of Biology and Genetics” in the Medical College of Virginia’s School of Pharmacy, one of the first departments with “Genetics” in its title.
1968-69
VCU is born, and the “Program in Human Genetics” becomes part of its School of Basic Health Sciences.
1975
Human Genetics attains full department status, making VCU one of a handful of institutions with autonomous departments of human genetics, and the only one in the Southeast.
1983
The Department of Human Genetics becomes part of the School of Medicine.
1993
Our program in human genetics becomes one of only 24 programs accredited by the American Board of Medical Genetics, one of only two boards providing medical certification to both Ph.D. and M.D. trainees.
2004
Departmental faculty awarded a total of seven new grants for a sum of $897,000, leading to a grand total of $4,894,000 in extramural funding.
2004-05
Departmental researchers collaborate with investigators in Denmark, India, Norway, Puerto Rico, Turkey and the United Kingdom
Updated: 1/11/10